Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Statement


When I was little I was strongly convinced that the way to improve the world was through education, and as I grew older my definiton and meaning of education began to evolve.
-
Learning comes naturally best through a sane admiration, through a relationship established with a person that has natural authority, with this I mean that authority which is not conveyed as a force or a structure, but as a natural result of somebody's talent.. we all learn during our lifes, and we recognize when somebody is good at something, and inwardly we strive to emulate it by learning from this person.
-
But it is when we are small that this learning is most crucial, and we have everything ready within the family to become as such the best nurturing and learning setting for the little child.
-
I believe the bonding between mother and child (or primary caregiver in other cases), is the perfect carrier of that admiration, that love that not just supports the best learning but also self-perfects at each moment, by instant feedback, intuition and inspiration.
-
It is for that reason that I strongly recommend small children at home, being taken care by an ensouled environment that has all the connections with the child from the beginning.
-
But many times this is not an easy task, it is indeed a most difficult task, and so it is good for families to have a support system, an encouragement net, a well of knowledge from other families and literature about what is it that is worked in the home, what homemaking is about.
-
In my personal experience I find it most helpful when I have a personal relationship with another mother, the wisdom flows better when these encounters happen. Some other people might find it easier to read from books, and extract and sort their own information. In any case, we are starting on one point, and under the wings of the Madonna Cloak Project: http://christopherushomeschoolresources/, which strives to protect the heart of the home, and following the succesful structure of the La Leche League support system, we are opening our home for families.
-
In the past two years children have come for us to take care of, and it has been a blessing experience, I see it as a bridge, a way to connect with the other family and hopefuly serve as an inspiration. I know nowadays we are modern people, who are very intelligent and have free will, but I experienced over and over again, that just a little bit of teaching by example goes a long way, whereas teaching by other means gets lost on the way.
-
Some time ago a teacher that has a home based waldorf program said to me: "you know, now that I am working from my home, the parents are paying more attention to what I say than when I was at the waldorf kindergarden."
-
I am not surprised by that, it is at your own home where you have your natural authority, that which is gained by actions and not by words; and people respond to this.
-
It happens similarly at Helle Heckmann kindergarden, she lives there, it is an ensouled home, and the children and parents respond according to that; whereas other kindergarden programs, as much as they may have the knowledge they lack the real ground. Why we would try to imitate the home in a school setting? let's just make room for these children to be in a home, let's help the families in their homemaking roles, and let's find better solutions for those who are in between.
-
I firmly believe that natural authority and love are binded together, and that they are potentially at best in a family setting.
-
thanks to all of you,
raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment